WHERE ARE ALL THE WOMEN IN THE MEDIA SCRUM?-COVERING DAVID CAMERON'S EASTLEIGH VISIT




It’s a usual sight to turn up to a media event and be singled out as the only women. 

Most women may like to be in front of the camera but I am interested about what goes on behind the camera. 
As a student Journalist I had a fantastic opportunity to film David Cameron visiting Eastleigh. Not a likely sight to see. 
I went along with two fellow student Journalists, both male. 
I don’t know what it is in journalism, whether or not it has scientifically be proven, to say that men are better than women at filming and interviewing. I only question this because the ratio of women to men is shocking. 
When I turn up to a media event like this I know what to expect. A handful of male camera men. It doesn’t intimidate me but it is very alienating and in fact does this confirm that sexism in the media industry still exits?
When I arrived there were a handful of cameramen already set up and ready to go. 
They stood near their equipment very proud and relaxed, showing off their confidence. It was actually like they had found their spot to film and this was their territory. 
Whereas there is me, a blonde female holding up the equipment and trying to suss out the situation.
I always put the camera up on my own. I am capable even though you may not think it because I might take longer to put it up than a man would or I might look awkward doing it. 
But when there are males there to put the equipment up they want to do it all by themselves. I don’t know whether its because they are trying to prove themselves of being good at putting equipment up but when a male takes over a women takes a few steps back.
The cameramen that were ready and waiting in the press pen were casually chatting to other men. They were dressed casually too, wearing jeans and tee’s. 
To say I was the only women at this event would not be telling the truth. The reporter from Sky was in fact a women, and very well known too.
There was one young female photographer in the scrum and one female radio reporter. But compared to the crowds of tall men these three women and four if  counting me in, is obviously inadequate.
Because we are students and our news team is not well known this makes the situation between me and the professionals a little more distance not only because I am a female. 
Being a female in the media industry is not a bad thing, don’t get me wrong. You can use it to your advantage. For one, you stand out from the crowd.
Men in the media do look more ballsy. They can ask the toughest questions and make it look natural. 
As a women I am wary and conscious and I don’t think any of these male reporters would feel like that. 
As a female I feel like I have to act a certain way. 
I was planning on shouting out a question to David Cameron. And its a big regret that I didn’t. Straight after i kicking myself about it.
But all the press at that the event were wary that the political reporter Michael Crick was there and he was ready to throw a question at Cameron.  
If a women shouted out a question, especially me being young as well, I think all the men would be surprised. I cannot prove this but I could sense that would be the case. 
It’s so unusual to see a equal amount of men and women in the media industry, especially out on the job. Maybe women prefer to stay in the office and in the warm. But I’m pretty sure we are all just as adventurous as most men, aren't we girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment