WINOL week 9



Winol week 9. 5/12

This week is the last official WINOL of the semester. I wanted to produce a news package for the bulletin about the apprentice scheme that had been announced by the Hampshire county council.

This story isn’t very visual so to overcome this I needed a case study. So I can film a sequence and interview somebody that needs a job. 

Unfortunately I was unable to find somebody who was unemployed and interested in the scheme. The council said it is too early to have a list of people that are interested.

I need interview Ken Thornber, the leader of the county council, he was the person who announced these plans therefore It was a good interview to have for WINOL. 

The piece was used as an OOV act. So the interview was useful to get. 

I struggled to be creative with shots this week. I tried filming young people working but I only filmed someone typing and someone getting a book off the shelf in the library. The shots wouldn’t relate to the story therefore the shots couldn’t be used in a package. 

Guest Editor this week: Mike Bushell, reporter for the BBC.

His style is very gonzo and his VT’s are very visually interesting. He gave us many pointers at WINOL on how to create a good VT.
He particularly pointed out a new style of shot. These are called the point of view shot POV.  It's when the camera is clipped onto the person or object to give the viewer and idea of what they would see. If gives the piece a different feel and when filming shots for a VT we should always think "is there an POV opportunity." These are mainly used for features and sport but it could differently be used to create a visually interesting piece and something I will always consider now. He also told us that the best camera out there at the moment is a Go Pro camera.  They are "indestructible."
The most rememberable quote Mike Bushell added was: "You should tell the story how you would tell your friends."

He added that he always plans ahead. He always know before hand want he wants his VT to look like. He said that he would visually be able to know what he wants his opening shot  to be. Along with the sequence/ the script / the interviewees etc. BUT you should always allow your VT to be open to change.- Infact it will always change, no matter how well you plan it. (These changes could be better than the plan you thought out!)
Since hearings Mike's points I feel much more refreshed and creative. 

I've been struggling with getting decent shots for my VT's and I think forward planning is very important. If I stay on news next semester I will work on getting good creative shots especially NATSOTs.


No comments:

Post a Comment